“Diet is the essential key to all successful healing. Without a proper balanced diet, the effectiveness of herbal treatment is very limited.”
Food as nutrition
My journey on lifestyle change began with understanding how food nutrition impact on body mind complex. Hence this area of food nutrition is very dear to my heart.I could talk forever on this birthday will attempt to stick on what I think is most important to understand.
Today we live in a world where nearly everyone is on one day or another. People talk about Carbs, calories ,fats ,proteins , restrictions, and good foods and bad foods. Diet books are best seller. Cooking shows are more popular and yet more families are eating day outs. It was not so long ago when humans had an innateability to know what is good for them. People simply knew what to eat and how to prepare it. Thay did not have so much cerebral interpretation of basic human needs. People naturally ate what was local seasonal available and what gave them proper nutrition for living
Being healthy is not a complicated. The body knows what to eat. It is the brain that makes mistakes. All you need to do is work on building a deep relationship with your body and it will tell you what it needs to function at its highest potential. It took a long time for me to understand the value of this last point. Today I am very much live by this principal. Once you have fostered this deep relationship with your body you can being you trust your body. So how do we foster this relationship.
We first need to accept that we have personal difference in anatomy, metabolism ,composition of bodily fluids and cell structures . So we have highly individualistic nutrition needs. No no! that is not a go ahead to eat junk food. It is to re-emphasize the need to build a deep relationship with your body. Our personal tested and preferences nature shape natural shapes and sizes blood type, metabolic rates , and genetic background influence what foods will and wants nutrition us. One person is food is and other persons poison. That is why fad diets do not work in the long run. They are not based on the reality that we all have different dietary needs. Yes a little experimenting and awareness is listing to our body will bring us the deep connection.
If you have any doubt on the connection then begin by accepting that your body is highly intelligent. You are hard never misses a beat. Even if you are going through some trauma your heart keeps pumping and your lungs keep breathing. Your body has involved insrincts to keep you alive and well. Just as a tree will always learn to words like humans and animals for that matter no instinctively what food is good for them.
Do not ignore the signals your bodies are Constantly giving us. Dark circle around the eye is mostly a signal of exhaustion. Your body is telling you to slow down and take a rest. Constipation and bolting are mostly a sign of something you are eating , or that the way you are eating it is in appropriate for you. I encourage you to listen to the signals and not wait until it become unbearable and you have to get on to meditation or in the surgical theatre.
You could keep a food more journal . Developing that connection with your body you might to join things down things like every time I eat bread my stomach hurt or every time llentil Soup I feel satisfied and see no negative of the effect. Certain combination of foods will give you gas , certain foods will prevent you from sleeping well, certain food will give you a clear mind.
Do remember that Help has to be a holistic. So when the body is giving you signals it does not have to be food nutrition that need adjustment. It could very very well be some time to do with your exercise routine or your mental state I.e., stress or chemicals in you are in external environment that needs changing. That is why we are paying attention to getting the basics of lifestyle change read a book . Lifestyle change is what brings us health and happiness.
Now we can focus on the foundation of food nutrition through the actionable steps. remember that the simple actions have huge impact. I have listed here the most impactful actions
- keep a food – mood journal. This will assist you to foster the connection to your body.
- Eat clean food. Meaning eating as neutral as possible. Presticide free if possible else wash well with a little vinegar. If you know of food has GMO, then if possible, avoid it.cut down on proceed, highly refined (example white flour products) or packed food and chemicalized food. Apply the 80–20 rule here 80% of the time eat clean and the other 20% eat food that is a little processed. Or maybe for You 90–10 rule work better.you decide build up slowly to words whatever you decide as you will fall of the band wagon.eating clean also promotes your connection with your body
- Eat home prepared meals. This way you know what is going into your body.also remember, no food testes like mom’s food. This is because food cooked with love carries a different energy.
- Replace instead of cutting out. Step by steps as you eat more and more clean food, your cravings for those foods that you know are obviously bad for you will begin to fall away from your choice of food.if you start by cutting out bad food items which you have are craving for than you you are craving will increase and once again you will fall of the bandwagon.so focus on including more and more good foods rather than excluding bad foods.
- Eat less meat, dairy, sugar and chemicalize, artificial junk foods consume less coffee, alcohol, and tobacco. Yes we have do not want to take out. We would rather replace. However, most people who carry out this action step feel more energised and recover from illness faster.
- Eat more fresh fruits and vegetables. We all have heard this several time . Start with 2 Apple a day. See what happens to the body with just this simple change. Then slowly increase the variety of foods consumed per day.
- Include fresh vegetable juice. non-talking smoothies juice using a juice extractor. Work up to having these 2–3 times a week. I have found these two have huge impact on my health. Carrot juice with some ginger, apple and some lemon ( White rind included ) is my favourite. Give a boost of nutrients quickly into the blood. Keep a gap of half hour after before you consume any other food item.
- Experiment with whole grain legumes. E.g. beans, lentils, lupine,peas, and peanuts.
- Include fermented Foods. These are foods such as picked vegetables and yoghurt.
- Sure dough bread. If you do have bread, then have sour dough bread that is made with natural ingredients. It is much easier on the digestiveSystem .
- Increase intake of a variety green foods and especially of leafy green vegetable. For example broccoli , spinach , kale, green herbs, cabbage. Nutritionally Green greens are packed with phytonutrients minerals and their health benefits are huge.
- Increase sweet vegetables. Instead of depending on processed sugar, you can add more naturally sweet flavour to your daily diet and dramatically reduce sweet cravings.
- Experiment with protein. Protein is the building block of our body but most of us eat way too much protein. Because of our bio individuality our protein intake varies from person to person. Hands, best to experiment with source of your protein and amount of protein and notice the impact of your body.
- Read ingredients list get into the habit of reading and ingredients List on food item packaging before purchasing. So you can understand what you are putting into your body. The ingredients are always listed in order most quantity to least quantity. So, specially watch out if sugar is the first listed them. Look out mainly for food additives that have been proven to be caused to different diseases if consumed regularly for example, MSG, artificial food colorant, sodium initiate , high- fructose corn syrup, artificial sweeteners , carrageenan, sodium benzoatetrans pets, artificial flavouring, Yeast extract .
- Avoid refined processed sugars. This is the one and only time we Say avoid.
- Clean dairy. If you have dairy then swop the very form forms where cows are grass fed . Dairy that is free from antibiotics, growth hormones is animal by products, preservatives and stabiliser. If you prone to sinus issue or ear, nose and throat congestion, then this change over could resolve the issue.
- Oils for cooking. The oils we use have a huge impact on our body. Be aware of the effects of oil use for cooking. Use cold pressed oil. The safe and healthy oil or coconut oil and Olive Oil. I sometimes use ghee to cook. Ghee is my go to fat.
- Say a prayer of gratitude before meals. Prepare your body to receive the food by saying a prayer of blessings and gratitude for all the farmers, transporters, suppliers and all those that were responsible for the food on your plate. Imagine your body getting ready to receive the food that is currently sitting on your plate.
- Eat with awareness and chew your food well before swallowing. This allows the saliva in the mouth to do its work. In fact, the mouth is where digestion process begins. If you break down your food in your mouth already, then the remainder of the digestion process improves.
- Use a tongue scraper to clean tongue twice a day after brushing. It comes from the tradition of ayurveda. It makes you more thoughtful and authentic in your speech. It helps fight cavities, prevents bad breath, decreases cravings, enhances taste bud activities.
- Include food of all colours in each meal or daily or at least over a few days. The different colours represent different phytonutrients. This way you are ensuring that your body is getting all the phytonutrients it needs. As a child you wanted the crayon box with the most colours. You would not have dreamt of drawing a picture in drab neutral.
- Detox regularly. This is so important that it could be a topic of its own. Detoxing regularly will help remove the disease causing toxins from the body. You could do some form of detox daily, weekly, monthly, seasonally, and then a bigger detox yearly. Five sample a single weekly detox would be to eat six meals of Khichdi dish in the week and six meals of lightly spiced steamed vegetables in the week. Learn more about detoxing and find ways that suits you. Examples are dry fast, intermittent fast, juice fast, water only fast, fruit fast etc.
- Soak nuts and seeds and dried fruits overnight. By soaking nuts and seeds, you minimise or eliminate the nutritional inhabiters and other toxic substances as they are absorbed into the water. Without the inhibitors and toxic substances, The nutrients of the nuts and seeds are more readily available for absorption. Dried fruits can be drying on the body and soaking them counteract this.
- Oh I think that is more than enough. Time to stop.
- Always consult your healthcare professional before making any of above changes.